Director, Legal Counsel
As STEMHub Foundation’s Legal Counsel, you will serve as an attorney to support organizational operations, providing day-to-day legal advice and counsel to our various teams. In particular, the Legal Counsel will facilitate and advise on contracting and compliance processes associated with grant contracting, as well as donor and regulatory organizational compliance.
The Legal Counsel will be a part of the Board of Directors for a two-year renewable term, unless otherwise decided. This is also a voluntary unpaid board role and between 2 - 5 hours commitment per week is required.
- Reviewing contracts involving funding, partnerships and sponsorships.
- Providing advice and counsel regarding institutional donor, foundation, and other donor agreements terms and conditions and risks within projects.
- Providing basic legal advice and counsel related to STEMHub Foundation’s operations including, but not limited to, complying with non-profit laws, fundraising laws, sanctions, and anti-money laundering laws, anti-corruption laws, international laws and regulations, employment matters, data privacy laws, and other areas of law that STEMHub Foundation must comply with.
- Working closely with Compliance and Finance on assessing STEMHub Foundation’s suite of organizational policies and identifying areas where additional policies may be needed to ensure STEMHub foundation is meeting best practice, and operationalize these policies
- Must be based in Canada and currently in good standing to the Bar association
- Must have at least 2-5 years of prior experience as an attorney working on a broad set of legal issues
- Excited by the challenge of researching and understanding laws in new markets and around new development projects
- Extraordinary and creative problem solver with a commitment to ethical solutions to complex legal and non-legal problems using an approach that facilitates the ultimate objective where possible.
If you are interested in applying, please email the following to STEMHub Foundation at:
. 1-2 page resume and 1-2 page letter of interest which answers the following questions:
- What is your connection to and involvement with underserved communities such as (BIPOC communities)?
- Why are you interested in joining the STEMHub Foundation, Board of Directors?
- What experience and expertise do you feel you could contribute to the Board and Organization in general or in relation to the following strategic areas of Audit and Finance, Legal, Corporate and Government Relations, Human Resources and STEM Program Planning?